Let there be light! When it comes to saving on your electricity bill, having a low rate is only the beginning to your savings! What about going the extra mile? Lighting can save energy costs and make your home energy efficient.
Let’s start off with changing out the light bulbs in your home/business.
- Choose LED bulbs or CFL bulbs because they are the most energy efficient. CFL bulbs use up to 75% less energy and output less heat, than normal bulbs. The CFL bulbs also have a longer lifespan so you will rarely have to replace them.
- Check the package of the light bulbs to make sure they are for the appropriate wattage. Example: Some bulbs are for lamps, some bulbs are for ceiling fans. Check the package for more details.
- Install motion sensor lights if you can in your house, even for outdoor lighting.
- Use a timer to remember to turn off all lights, if you don’t have a motion sensor option.
- Paint walls a lighter color so they reflect light.
- Turn off lights when not in use.
- Rearrange furniture towards the natural light of windows or screen doors.
When you are not using lights, just turn them off. Also teach children to unplug gadgets and turn off lights when they are not using them to save energy costs. Replacing lighting in your home can save up to $100 per year that you can spend on other things.