Whether you own or lease a building or whether you manage your business from your home or your office is your vehicle, saving money is every business’s objective. The best way to save money is to be green. By helping the environment you can also help your work place. So whether you own a multi-story business complex or a small home office, conserving money will help you save money and reduce your expense.
Home office or a large commercial complex, you will have to pay for the utility bill. This utility bill includes the cost for lighting, office equipment, heating and air conditioning and even the small appliances which you use. Here are some energy tips which will help you save on utility expense.
1. Use a programmable thermostat: Your office does not need to be heated or cooled when no employees are there. Use a programmable thermostat so it automatically turns the temperature low or high when no one is utilizing the office.
2. Turn off the lights when not in use. Make sure to turn the lights off when no one is using any portion of the office. If you have a larger commercial building, try installing sensors so the room only lights up when someone is present in the room.
3. Use ENERGY STAR equipment: Use ENERGY STAR equipment as it saves you a lot of money on your energy bill. For example ENERGY STAR qualified Compact Florescent Lights (CFLs) consume 75% less energy than regular incandescent bulbs. From lights, fans, office equipment such as printers and scanners to desktops and laptops ENERGY STAR equipment is available and costs you at least 20 percent less in your energy bill compared to regular products and produce low gas emissions so they are green all the way.
4. Reduce the Margins: When printing any document reducing the margins will conserve more paper. Also try buying the recycled paper and help the environment.
5. Unplug: Unplug the equipment which is not in use to avoid the “Phantom Load”. Also try using the power strip and connect all your major electronics such as printer, scanner and copier on it. By turning a switch off you can turn off all your major office equipment and turn them back on when you want to use them. Also it is wise to connect the coffee maker and the microwave on a power strip too.