Summertime brings with it high energy bills due to the need to keep our homes cool in the intense heat. One of the best ways to keep your energy bills low is to choose a Houston electricity provider with cheap electricity rates. There are also ways to reduce your Houston electricity usage, which will allow you to keep cool while saving energy and money. Most of these methods require no extra cost, just simple, easy to implement actions.
- Thermostats — Keep the thermostat set as high as you can tolerate. Every degree above your preferred temp can save you 1-3% on your AC energy use. Shut the thermostat off at night and open your windows to let in natural, cool air. This will keep your AC from running all night. Consider installing a programmable thermostat to help regulate the temperature of your house year-round. The programmable thermostat will run the AC or heat only when you set it to, so it can remain off overnight or while you are at work.
- Fans — Ceiling fans can help you feel cool while using less electricity than an AC unit. Using fans in conjunction with the AC will allow you to set the temperature even higher and still remain comfortable.
- Landscaping — Strategic placement of trees and shrubs can shade your home in the summer, keeping your home’s temperature lower. These plants can also serve as windbreaks, which can reduce the energy use in the winter by 20-40%.
- Windows — Install windows with an argon gas filling to reduce solar gain and heat loss for the summer and winter, respectively. You can also coat windows with a low-e film to help with this. Also consider installing removable or retractable awnings on southern-facing sides of your home. The shade will reduce the amount of solar gain and provide a shaded area to sit outside. Remove or retract the awnings for the winter to gain the benefit of solar gain.
- Roof — Reflective roofs can reduce the roof’s temperature by up to 60°F, which will keep your attic space much cooler and reduce your energy needs. A green roof can also be used to reduce roof temperatures while providing a green space where you can plant flowers or foods despite limited property space.
- Maintenance — Maintain your AC system by cleaning or replacing the filter every 1-3 months and getting a tune-up every 6-12 months. Keep your AC running efficiently to ensure the airflow is high and energy use is low.
You can beat the heat and keep greener in your wallet by using these tips and signing up with a Houston electricity company that will provide you with cheap electricity. Shop Houston Electricity helps you find the best deal from competing energy providers and gives you the power to choose the provider and the plan that’s right for you.